Saturday, July 29, 2017

Breathe


I've just finished my third art camp of this season, and it feels like I am floating in a parallel world. Or better, I am diving in some water. Only once in a while I will come up to breathe and feel the warmth of the sun and then return to my life under the sea. 

I didn't teach any summer art camps last year, and I had completely forgotten how intense those can be. Part of that is that I usually teach classes that I haven't taught before.

Because I love coming up with new projects. Because I like to teach myself something new as well. New projects are a fun challenge but, of course, quite time-consuming too. Maybe I should take it easier, be more relaxed about everything.

But then, I want everyone who comes to my classes to have a valuable experience. I find it very rewarding to teach the kids (or adults) something new, to ignite something in them, and then to see them so proud of their skills and their works.

This is especially true when it comes to my 10-year old son. Jacob is an artist - in his own, unique, way. He has some terrific writing skills, and I love his witty cartoon drawings. He doesn't really like to deal with paints and brushes though, well, with things that are harder to control than pencils, and with projects that need a long time until they are finished.

My daughter Mona (8) is curious about all kinds of visual art, she is driven to master every medium, and I guess, sooner or later, she will.

Anyways, I have taken both my kids into my studio for all my camps this summer. I had to talk Jacob into the first one, but when I asked him to come to the second, and then the third, he said, what a weird question, Mom, of course I want to come, I love your camps. Okay.

So here are some pictures of my second art camp, "Insect Abstractions."

We worked on three projects to go from a realistic pencil drawing to a more abstract watercolor/ink drawing and then to an even more abstract oil pastel. For the last one we focused only on a detail of the particular insect.

The three moths are Jacob's, Mona made the beetles.







No comments:

Post a Comment