Saturday, July 8, 2017

It is Good

Celebration Ndebele Dolls (papermache)

I have been reading about the Ndebele tribe and found out that in their culture there is no superlative form of "good." In Ndebele, "good" is the label for both the barely good and the most good. There is no synonym for "good" either. So, if you want to say something positive about your day because you hit a jackpot of some sort or found the cure for a rare decease, you simply would say: I had a good day. The groom would tell his bride as soon as he sees her in all her stunning wedding gown beauty: You are looking good.

Ndebele House inspired papermache boxes
In my home country, Germany, "good" means "good." In the United States, however, "good" usually describes something mediocre or acceptable. People like to talk in superlatives here. Oh wow, this is terrific, amazing, gorgeous, excellent, superawesome and absolutely to die for. Isn't this the prettiest/cutest/most beautiful thing you've ever seen? So many words that make very clear that "good" is - by all means - not a good standard at all. There are exceptions alright, gnomes have good hearts, the jolly fellow is good, ice cream has good humor, and this bologna is still good even though it looks expired.

Mixed media warm-up project
Anyways, I have been trying to bring back the "good" into my life, especially since someone in this country has been overusing the "great," and I don't want to share his language or spirit.

Back to the Ndebele culture: Yesterday was the last day of my first art camp of this season, "Ndebele Houses." I had a very sweet group of kids between 8 and 11 years old, and I enjoyed the fun they had with each other and their projects. They all agreed that the Ndebele dolls were their favorite pieces. I can see why, kids love making creatures of any kind. They make them tell stories.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment