Thursday, July 9, 2020

Appetizers

Number 14 of my "Earth" series.

"Appetizers"
Mixed media: clippings from vintage cookbooks and storybooks, yellowed edges of old book pages, ink, on the hardcover back of a 1960's LIFE World Library book, 8" x 11"


I finished this one a while ago and meant to blog about it but I have been procrastinating. Life here in this country is weird and difficult and depressing these days, but in between are good moments, and I am trying to find them and to hold on to them as long as I can.

Good moments I find with my children and my husband, and with my true friends when we talk on the phone or see each other from far. I am missing my family in Germany, I haven't seen them since last fall, and it's painful to know that I will not be able to hug them for a long time.

Because of the climate in this country, I have virtually connected with a few people in various online groups who I haven't met physically yet but who seem to be sharing the same spirit and the same desires and hopes. At the same time I am letting go of those people in my life who have been holding on to questionable realities and who have been trying to convince me of their absurd belief systems.

Regarding my art life, some very good things have been happening in that department, too. For example, the regional arts council, NCLAC, invited me to make an artist video. And so my husband Markus and I spent a few weeks making a film about my studio and my work during which I created the "Appetizers" piece. We make a good team; my strength is creating storylines, while Markus is amazing with his artistic and technical movie-making skills.

Besides the fact that it is nice to have this video, it has helped me reflecting about my work and to articulate what drives me to do what I do.






2 comments:

  1. Hello my friend! This is so wonderful! Big fat frog. I love the simple color scheme as well. Speaks of Christmas, and parties, enjoying the tastes of the season, and of course, eating too much. Too me. Haha. It always amazes me how well you incorporate enchantment and foreboding in your art. Mixed media, mixed messages. Intriguing Christiane! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched your video, weeks ago. It was so nice to see you again, and hear your voice. Brought me a bit of comfort, and I am grateful :) Happy creating dear friend!

    ReplyDelete