Tuesday, October 10, 2017

You Are Here

Well - I think, I am done with this one. It is the piece that I am going to submit to the "Mapping Out a Future for the Arts" exhibit in December. Our fabulous local Arts Council came up with this intriguing project and invited a number of artists to create works with outdated topographical maps of the local parishes.


The idea for my piece was to focus mainly on the point of origin. Simply because the direction of your path depends on where you are starting from.

I tore up the area maps to make the buddha face. For the background I used the oceans that I found in an old world atlas as I wanted to embed the local dimension into a global context.  The same world atlas also contained a section about the genesis of the universe and I cut out a little bit of the space for the black "You are here" marker.

"You Are Here"
Collage of torn topographical area maps and world atlas pages, ink,
on canvas panel, 20" x 16"

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Christiane this is stunning, and it is HUGE! I absolutely love it. Do you submit the explanation as well as the art? I can't stop looking. Wishing you well, but this is a stunner for sure. Keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sheila. I'm glad you like my buddha. I'm not sure if I should submit my explanation as well (or if I could). On one side I think I should always include my comments as being an essential part of a multimedia piece. I don't really see these comments necessarily as explanations, as my comments or stories are usually complementary - sometimes the visual work and the words only together become a whole. On the other side, viewers often seem to like a piece for a very personal reason and that reason may not have anything to do with the meaning that I placed into my work. They may see something very different, something that I didn't intend to put in it. And that's just right. At a show I often get to talk with the visitors about my thoughts behind - but if they don't ask I feel I shouldn't share my thoughts. Regarding the size - to make something large has been my all-time challenge. I used to make miniature sculptures and drawings and it was tough for me first to get out of my comfort zone. I am getting used to larger canvases, though I haven't done anything bigger than 16x20. It has been a freeing experience. What are your usual sizes, Sheila?

      Delete