Friday, September 24, 2021

More or less

WIP "How We Connect"

Clipping names, gluing on names, reading names, thinking about names.

About 330 names go on these 2 1/8" balls. I can complete one per day of this size plus get a few started.

All together, I have 345 spheres finished. There are only five more to do while three of them are halfway done. Now this sounds like I'm getting close to the finish line despite the fact that the remaining two are humongous with their 4" and 5" diameters compared to the tiny 1/4" ones.

Originally, I came up with the number 350 because I had tried various combinations, and this amount made a good pile in the bowl and looked just right all together. And it seemed doable, too (sort of). 

I found out that the number 350 is considered an "angel number" and as such is a symbol of positive vibrations and energy, of peace and, most of all, inevitable change. I do like the ring of all this, yes, I like it a lot. But I don't quite relate to the belief in angels. 

So I will go a different route: I will leave one sphere off or make three more to get to a prime number. A prime number seems to be a perfect metaphor for a social contract and how the social contract regulates the freedom of the individual and of a people. In this sense, a people is not divisible: A people is a people, even if it constantly changes. It can only be divided by one and by itself. 

WIP "How We Connect"

3 comments:

  1. All are interesting ways to look at at it. Will be interesting to find out how many hundreds or thousands of names that ball will hold. Yikes! Best wishes Christiane and BRAVO! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that will be interesting indeed!
      I appreciate your cheers, dear Sheila.

      Delete
  2. These are fascinating to me! What is the naked ball made of? I love this project!

    ReplyDelete