Monday, September 6, 2021

New Post - finally.

Long time no see, but here I am writing my first post after I had taken a year-long break from blogging. Being absent wasn't on purpose really, actually there were quite a few things happening that would have been worth sharing. Things that were inspiring and positive, stories of success. But I didn't feel like talking about those things. Life had exhausted me. I was too tired and too sad to share my thoughts. I'm in a much better place now, not that things have changed but I've found ways to deal with them in healthier ways.


I've been in my studio a lot. I have worked on my 24-piece "Earth" series, and the final piece is about to be finished. But before I can get back to it, I have to complete another large project, "How We Connect". It's an interactive 3-D piece about, well, you've guessed it, how we connect. It's about people in a society, the small and the large groups they form, the stratification, the movements, the random encounters, the temporary networks and systemic relationships.

For each group of people I am covering a wooden sphere with names. There are 350 spheres in various sizes - between 1/4" and 5" in diameter - which will be contained in a shallow and wobbly wooden bowl, piled up high. A fragile composition. I wrote about this project in more detail just a few posts ago.

I started working on this in the context of a virtual art residency which I was part of last May/June. An exhibit of the residents' projects is scheduled for the month of December. There's a significant amount of work to be done still, even though I have 300 spheres done already. But every single one, small or large, comes with its own challenge: the tiny ones are tough to hold, and the curvature makes it difficult to glue on even the shortest name. The large ones on the other hand, are easy to work on but very time-consuming as they can fit hundreds or thousands of names. So - not much time to dilly-dally, I have to clip clip clip and paste paste paste.

4 comments:

  1. I am so in awe of this project. And excited to see the completed presentation. :) So happy to hear you have worked on the earth series. That is a favorite of so many. Happy clipping and gluing to you! I know it looks daunting. But you've got this Christiane! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sheila! It's been nice seeing it grow.

      Delete
  2. I’m thrilled you are writing your blog again. It was so nice to wake up to your voice as I launch my first day of school.

    ReplyDelete