Saturday, June 24, 2017

In My Hair

I was about to get the huge pile of books from the passenger seat - my kids and I had just been to the library - when I felt a stinging something on my back. And then it was crawling upwards and I could tell it was a big something. Mona, is this a wasp on my back? Yes, it is, it's crawling into your shirt right know, oh no, now it's hiding in your hair. Excellent. I slowly went across the street to ask my neigbor to save my life and find the wasp. Et voila - the wasp was okay to come out and build her nest in somebody else's hair. Thank you.

Generally, I am kind of okay with critters of this sort, as long as they leave me alone and not constantly circle my head when I am sitting outside.

Baby Simba, made of an Elmo

Speaking of critters, the final Lion King Jr. performance was a few days ago, and now we are relaxing after a busy time of rehearsals and volunteering. Altogether it was a marvellous time, we enjoyed both the preparations and the actual performances. These kids were amazing in their roles, and you could tell how much harmony and excitement there was not only on stage but also among the crew and cast members and the parents. I felt that this was what "Community Theater" should be like, and it felt good to be a part of it.

"My" Elephand Graveyard

I helped a bit with the construction of the props, especially Baby Simba, and later painted parts of the set. It was fun, and very rewarding to see "my" elephant graveyard on stage. I never did set painting before, and I like to be challenged with oversized projects because I can use more practice with that.

Of course, my daughter was simply adorable in her ensemble and with this sweet Praying Mantis on her head. She hasn't stopped singing and dancing to Lion King tunes ever since. And my son loved it, too, as all our friends did who came to the performances.

Mona with her mantis. So much love and detail went into the costumes.

These are just some of the reasons why I would do something like this again, I mean, volunteering in this way and to this extent. I have done a lot of volunteering in my life - unfortunately, not every experience as a volunteer is rewarding like this one was. There is a German proverb which goes: "You give someone your pinky, and that someone will take your whole hand." Doesn't feel good when that happens one time too often.

So, I found it very touching to see the detailed thank-you note that the director had written and included in the printed program that was handed out to the audience before each show. Every helping hand and every effort, even the smallest one, was mentioned and described in detail and with sincere appreciation. I have never seen or received such a thoughtful thank-you note like this before. Thank you for this thank you. Thank you, and you are very welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment