Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Blue Note

#9 of the 30-in-30 challenge.

I think it is a wonderful coincidence that the world maps on the backs of the LIFE books that I am using for this series have exactly five latitude lines - just like a musical staff. I like the idea of the earth hanging out in there, being a song consisting of only one note, a colossal note, a ponderous note.

At the same time, this note is not massive at all. Because it's a blue note.

As a child I wanted to learn to play the violin, or piano maybe, some instrument that wasn't a recorder or glockenspiel. I didn't get real music lessons back then, and I never took the time to learn it later on.

But I have become a music lover anyways. I appreciate many different music genres. I have developed a love for jazz and blues in particular, and, I believe, some decent understanding of it. 



So this is my love letter to the blue notes and to the artists who know how to play them.

"Blue Note"
Clippings from a storybook, vintage sheet music, and an adult coloringbook, sewing thread, on the hadcover back of a 1960's LIFE World Library book.

2 comments:

  1. Very creative, you personified this « Think out of the box », here will be out of the globe. It was a nice gift those books, so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I learned what a blue note is. Thanks for the word for the day and some education. :) Love this cool cat, and your imagination, and the Stevie Ray in my head right now. Delightful Christiane :)

    ReplyDelete