Thursday, September 22, 2016

Help Yourself



Day Twenty-One of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge: "Help Yourself"

This is the piece that I meant to post yesterday but it took me so very long to finish it. Anyways, here it is, and honestly, I am thrilled about it. I really like it. Even though, I have to admit, it is a little odd. When my son looked at it he was very concerned and asked if I would cook something like that in the near future.

The idea behind this piece comes from an expression that is very common here but that I found quite obscure when I heard it for the very first time - a long time ago. I was visiting my sister in the States who was an exchange student there. Her host family was having a bbq for us and they were so kind and wonderful and then they said "Please, help yourself!" It sounded so general, like a life motto. And I said "Thank you" because I was thanking for the good advice and direction.

What can I say. "Help yourself" says it all.

Watercolor, ink, yellowed pages and clippings from books and Rolling Stone on cheap canvas panel. 16" x 20"


No comments:

Post a Comment