Thursday, September 1, 2016

Openings


















After four years of teaching art I decided to pause for a while and focus more on my own work. I have learned so much through teaching, and I want to apply what I have learned. I don't really know what I am going to make though, not exactly, that is. I used to make small and very detailed 3-D objects and miniature drawings, most of them based on the traditions of (German) storytelling and playing. My heart is still there somehow but I am also ready for a change. The small format is my comfort zone, therefore I want to challenge myself and try to make more and more bigger pieces.

I am a storyteller. I tell stories to my kids, and I tell stories through the things I make. I see stories in all kinds of random objects, and love the idea of putting those objects together to create even greater stories. Obviously, and naturally, I am drawn to collage. I haven't done collage much but I feel this is where I belong.

When I came across the "30 in 30" Challenge, I thought it was a great way to get myself into a new routine. Thirty paintings in thirty days! This means, for all September I will daily post the piece that I have created that day. I am not really a canvas painter. I love oil pastels though, and ink. And I want to experiment with mixed media.

I signed up for the 30 in 30 challenge knowing that I cannot compete with all the amazing artists that are going to post their fantastic pieces every day. I am competing with myself, and I hope that this process will help me grow. - I spent all morning trying this and that. At the end I made a small drawing with collage that I call "Openings."




No comments:

Post a Comment