Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Portals



Day 13 of the 30 in 30 Challenge

I am so excited I have made it so far! It is the thirteenth, and some superstitious people may say that 13 is not a good number at all. Well, in order to even this out I have incorporated a toadstool - for Germans that is the lucky charm.

I have made a mixed media piece which is different from the other ones that I have made lately: I have used the cover of an old storybook for a canvas panel and its old yellowed paper for the background scenery. I really like the texture. Some of the portals are open and you can see the pattern of the book cover. There is one portal that hasn't opened completely; it looks like that there is a thin film or membrane still in place.

Anyway, I call this one "Portals".
I find the idea of portals quite intriguing, thus to be able to visit parallel worlds. Especially if those portals lead to a gigantic loony bin. Who wouldn't like to dive in there once in a while, just for a few minutes during lunch break maybe.

Watercolor, ink, paper and clippings from an old storybook, on book hard cover, 12" x 8.5"

4 comments:

  1. WOW! This is so fun and interesting... I want to read the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila, thank you for coming by! I appreciate your comments very much. - I have seen some of your works and those are very beautiful and so joyful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christiane - you are so good at opening up 'portals' and making us wonder "What else…?" and your paintings are charming and very skilfully executed. It's a joy to visit your site.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your feedback very much, Sharon. I am glad to see that my pieces are understood. I'm always worried that they come out too odd or bizarre and don't say what I want them to say.

    ReplyDelete