Friday, September 13, 2019

Censored

Day 12 of the 30-in-30 challenge

I started out completely differently with this piece, but then saw the potential of the general concept and reconsidered. So, instead of another funny image, I did something more reflective.

It's about censorship, one of the things I am worried about. I used a page from an old dictionary - from noddle to nourish - and cut out all the no's,  as in: no "no" allowed. At the same time the no's are expressing resistance to this ridiculous nonsense: They seem to be breaking out of the cutting holes, using the threads as emergency ladders, or maybe the threads are umbilical cords. 

I chose reds and orange tones for the background to incorporate the notion of a book burning. The threads can be seen as smoke.

"Censored"
Mixed media: acrylics, page from an old dictionary, sewing thread, on cradled wood panel, 12" x 12"

1 comment: