Sunday, September 29, 2019

This Is Not Goodbye

Day 29 of the 30-in-30 challenge

The image of the little Mork figure came from a collector's guide which I like to use for this and that. The book had been published way before Robin Williams died from suicide. I hardly remember watching the Mork and Mindy show, I think, I didn't like it, to be honest. 


Until I was a young adult, suicide was a subject that didn't seem to effect me at all. I heard about it, read about it, it was a strange thought, and people only whispered about it.

And then I found out about the suicide of my friend's boyfriend. He had been missing for a week and then was found in the woods.

Another friend shared with me that her father took his life when she was a child still. She found him hours later after he had shot himself.

A former neighbor decided to end his life, he left a letter that didn't explain anything.

I was shocked when Anthony Bourdain left. He seemed so fulfilled - why did I think that? Today I was listening to some 80s charts and learned that Robert Palmer took his life 15 years ago. I didn't know.

Suicide, it seems to be the answer for the ones who are leaving, but only raises questions for the ones who are staying. I don't know what to say or think or feel about this other than sadness.

Mixed media: acrylics, inside of the front soft cover of a 70s space collector's album, book clippings, fly leaf scrap, 45rpm record sleeve, on cradled wood panel, 9" x 12"

1 comment:

  1. Mork made me laugh. That little toy is worth big bucks I am sure. I did like the show, but I don't think it was a favorite. I think a lot of it was above my head at the time. LOL.
    Very sad about Robin. He brought joy to so many, it hurts to think he was suffering.
    It is sad that we are always so surprised after hearing about a suicide. Even the people that are close to the person. We need to do so much more work, to make it possible for people to talk openly about their depression and feelings. Prayers for the hurting.

    ReplyDelete