Thursday, September 5, 2019

Music Box

Day 4 of the 30-in-30 challenge.

I love music boxes, but I always had mixed feelings about that particular kind where a tiny ballerina is kept in a jewelry box and has to come out and dance whenever someone is in the mood to open it.

There is no such passiveness in this fiery flamenco dancer. Yes, she has power and will, she will not be put away. She seems in control, even of the time.

I used empty music manuscript sheets for the background. The notes haven't been written yet. There is no sound, even the rooster is speechless. A vaccuum.

I guess, the time for castanets hasn't come after all.



"Music Box"
Mixed media collage: book clippings, music manuscript sheets, book pages, ink, on masonite board, 14"x18"


3 comments:

  1. This is super Christiane. In the 30 Day Creative group you don't mention that your work is collage but I sort of figured it was. I like that you actually tell a story here when most collage pieces are so congested that the story gets lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! I'm glad you like it! For me, collage feels like setting up a theater performance, the clippings come on stage, leave their baggage behind, try new roles. It may sound funny but I actually develop an emotional relationship with all the characters I'm working with. It's not so much dress-up, it's about freeing them or challenging them with new opportunities. There's so much hidden drama in every book, time to reveal it, I say.
      However, I actually like the "congested collages" in many cases too, I enjoy the weirdness that many collaged images have and like to wonder what happened to those poor souls in those odd sceneries.

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful Christiane! LOve, LOVe, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete