Thursday, September 19, 2019

Laundry Day

Day 17 of the 30-in-30 challenge

You'll probably recognize the dresses, yes, they are from the movie "Gone with the Wind." Especially Scarlett's gown made out of the plantation curtains is legendary. The dresses are part of a vintage paper doll set (probably from the 40s) that I came across years ago, and I had to buy it, because those things are hard to find and usually too costly for me. However, I've been wondering ever since how I will use those pieces.

Well, "Laundry Day" is a reference to the South. This is where I live with my family and friends, I love this little town and the community here. Unfortunately, this is also the area, where some jolly fellows like to display there mindsets through hate flags and sentimental statements about the "good old days" and "heritage" and "Southern pride."

This piece refers to all this. The cat is washing a dress which seem to be a tiny little piece of cloth now. But after laundering it will miraculously unfold into one of those huge overpowering garments.

"Laundry Day"
Mixed media: Acrylics, vintage sheet music with red edging, storybook clippings, ink, sewing thread, on masonite board, 14" x 18"

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! LOL :) I think I wrote to you, since I could not comment. Brought to mind Carol Burnett and her version of the movie. Oh my, and there she is hanging the laundry! One of my favorites for the month!

    ReplyDelete