Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Make Contact

Day 26

of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge by Leslie Saeta.

A while ago, I got a 70s cook book on "Variety Meats" at a library book sale. It's a fantastic book. Because every one of the suggested dishes looks questionable, to say the least, but the words to describe these creations are simply out of this world.

About the particular dish that I used in my piece, the caption said: "Sweetbreads and ham, with mushrooms and sherry sauce, served on toast, are elegantly presented under individual glass bells, to keep them moist and warm." Yes.

I wonder if people from outer space wouldn't confuse the glass bell with a UFO. I would, I certainly would.



"Make Contact"
Acrylics and book clippings on canvas panel, 16" x 12"




2 comments:

  1. How did I not comment? This post had me laughing. Like the book on 1000 jello recipes. I laugh at old movies or shows, where they are having a cocktail party, and serving chips and dip like it is high fashion. Don't get me wrong, I like chips and dip. Just usually tortilla chips and salsa or cheese dip.
    Another fun one :) Just be sure the title of the book is not "To Serve Man" LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, right? I just love those old cookbooks, especially the ones from the 60s/70s when pineapple became the hip ingredient. My "Jiffy Cooking" book says not to worry about unexpected company, just serve a box of fishsticks over that leftover rice mixed with curry and canned pineapple, et voila, you are going to impress your guests with an authentic Polynesian dinner! Life was much easier back then.

      Delete