Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Musical Chairs

Day 12

of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge hosted by California artist Leslie Saeta. Leslie's work is quite fantastic, and so are the pieces posted daily by all kinds of artists from lots of countries around the globe. Have a look some time!


I have spent nearly all day on these Musical Chairs, and I am thrilled that I am finally done and that I actually like them. All of a sudden, species extinction looks like a fun thing!

I used sheet music from around 1920, a collection of Franz Schubert songs, that I recently found at an estate sale. I had tons of sheet music in my studio already but I couldn't resist getting these anyway because Schubert's songs are book-bound with a beautiful printed red edge and occasional pencil notes, besides the natural yellowing of the pages. The beautiful book is falling apart though, the paper is very brittle and tears and crumbles immediately when I turn the pages. I love the opportunity to honor this old document by using it for my piece.

"Musical Chairs"
Acrylics, sheet music, book clippings, on canvas panel, 16" x 20"

3 comments:

  1. Really love this. The old paper is wonderful, and the rest so fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. christiane!!! I love this! I lite my favorite!! It's beautiful and fun! The sheets of music! 😱💖Ok! If you sell these this one and the gossip one are sold!!! 🙌🏻 Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all! Love that you love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete