Thursday, September 7, 2017

Night and Day

Day 7

of the 30 Paintings in 30 Days challenge.

I had Billie Holiday on, while I was working in my studio yesterday, and she was singing "Night and Day." I love this song, in particular because it reflects a much slower pace of life than we have nowadays, especially here in the States. A few decades ago the lyrics of this sweet Cole Porter song were still thinkable and sort of convincing. I mean, the idea of being able to withdraw from all the surrounding traffic and noise and to forget all about your own business, just to hold on and to completely indulge in your yearnings. How beautiful and how luxurious. It seems, that lovesickness is no longer a very accepted state of mind. Come on, snap out of it, there are other fish in the sea, don't waste your time. Yes, time. We are rushing through all aspects of life. 


So, my "Night and Day" here is the remastered version of the song.  See the little man in his hamster wheel. No need to ever take his pajamas off because time has shrunk, and morning alarm and bedtime have gotten much closer together. There's still some longing for something, but no time for schmaltziness.

"Night and Day"
Acrylics, 45rpm record sleeve, storybook clipping, on canvas panel, 8" x 8"

5 comments:

  1. Love the vintage man, and the "vintage" sleeve. Oh that takes me back. Love how the label seems slightly, psychedelic, and adds to the feeling of mayhem. Reminds me of the animation sequence in Vertigo that was meant to make you feel dizzy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are feeling this too, Sheila! Thank you for pointing out the details, you are so right. And I need to watch Vertigo again.

      Delete
  2. I feel like we are all on hamster wheel. We should all jump off!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are, and yes, we should! I miss the much slower pace of life in Germany.

      Delete