Monday, September 3, 2018

Intermission

30 Paintings in 30 Days, hosted by fabulous artist Leslie Saeta.
Day Three:  "Intermission"
 
 
This is about a moment of transition. Something has ended and something else is about to begin, thus the Janus head. I added a pair of eyes/glasses to bring the two faces together. She's clearly seeing now that things - her life - are going to change. 
 
For the black and (yellowish) white I used fly leaves from vintage books, the blank pages at the beginning or end of a book. The black fly leaf came from the end of a book, the white one I took from the beginning of a different book.

I used the "Notan" concept to cut the bodies. I like the Japanese idea of seeing both the positive and the negative spaces as parts of a whole, as in Yin and Yang. The opposites complement each other, everything is well-balanced.  

"Intermission"
Mixed media: fly leaves and clippings from vintage books, acrylic, on canvas panel, 12" x 9"
 

1 comment: