Sunday, September 16, 2018

Moving Mom

30 Paintings in 30 Days, hosted by fabulous artist Leslie Saeta.
 
Day Fifteen:  "Moving Mom"
 
I've been dealing with lots of different moving issues lately. Moving things from place to place, questioning things, throwing out things, holding on to things. How does it feel to move somewhere uncertain, or to be moved from one place to another completely unprepared. Thinking about destinations in general. 
 
 
In this context I made this one about a woman who is going to be moved into a "home". Her belongings are reduced to a small amount of sentimental objects, and she is taking her chair because she's allowed to take one piece of furniture for comfort. A box full of letters is telling her life story. Who has she loved?
 
I placed the woman and her life inside a huge moving box because I felt it would underline her fears about the unknown. 
 
"Moving Mom"
Mixed media: watercolor, storybook clippings, ink, on watercolor paper, "15" x 11"



1 comment:

  1. I totally get this. Not having a choice. I love how you have made her child sized. Feeling like a child. Love that there is blue sky beyond, but she is not ready to see that yet. To me the letters make me think "who has loved her". Emotional this one. ;)

    ReplyDelete