Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Wrap Up

30 Paintings in 30 Days, hosted by fabulous artist Leslie Saeta.
 
Day Five:  "Wrap Up"
 
 
I think I should do a couch series. My life has been an overload of heavy things lately, which mainly has to do with those terrible illnesses in my family and all the worries that come with them. There are other concerning things going on but I'm not going to touch on that right now because I need to think uplifting thoughts to stay sane.
 
Anyways, in one of my old Life magazines (1965) I came across a double page ad that was full of sleeper sofas. The photos are perfect for clipping - what a fantastic find. I used one of the couches for yesterday's Green Room. For this one I chose a larger orange sofa for a couple to sit on. Yes, that's right, the woman and the telephone. They can't talk to each other anymore, they are completely disconnected. But still, they are trying to save their relationship by getting some therapy. They are so fixated on their own issues that they don't even notice the aggressive gulls above them.

The uplifting part about this piece is that it doesn't have to be like this. It's a choice to stay in a certain situation or to call it quits and move on. 
 
 
"Wrap Up"
Watercolor, ink, clippings from vintage storybooks and Life magazines, on watercolor paper, 15" x 11"
 

2 comments:

  1. When I first opened this, all i saw were gulls and sky. Which led me to nice memories of the beach in San Diego. Then I saw the rest. That couch is so crisp and straight, I thought it was a drawing at first. another favorite here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I love this!!!! We do need to end that relationship with our phone sometimes!!!

    ReplyDelete